The Trust has saught the views expressed by HPT members, customers and the wider community between 2011 and 2016. This is to ensure that the areas available for various dry-side activities and supporting facilities are extended and improved in a balanced manner; that the feel of Hampton Pool is preserved over the long term; whilst maximising the development potential of Hampton Pool.
Stakeholders that have been consulted with include Hampton Pool Trust (HPT) members, Poolside Swim and BBQ Club, Gym members, Thames Turbo (TT), Hampton Pool customers and hirers, Hampton Pool Consultative Group, The Royal Parks (TRP), London Borough of Richmond upon Thames (LBRuT), Hampton Fuel Allotment Charity (HFAC), LBRuT Sports Development team, Sport Richmond, LBRuT ward councillors, YMCA LSW, local residents, local schools, local community groups including The Hampton Society (the Hampton residents’ association).
Alongside regular updates in the HPT newsletter, Poolside Chat
, which is made available in paper copy and online to the users of Hampton Pool and visitors to the HPT website, There has been a large number of meetings, consultations and communications to involve stakeholders in the development of the design brief and review of the proposed building throughout its development. There have been over 37 meetings and consultations during the period.
The following are examples of changes made resulting from consultations with stakeholders:
- Changed from small scale development to a more comprehensive plan to accommodate the request for a plan to future-proof the pool for the next 25 years;
- TRP advised HPT that development should not be in the car park adjacent to SSSI
- Soft play area rejected;
- Family change to be included;
- To not lose car parking spaces;
- Biomass boilers rejected;
- To ensure that the new carpark surface is bicycle and wheel chair friendly;
- Reduced the size of west end development proposed in Hampton Pool Programme Study of March 2015 from 779 m2 to 607 m2 for final plan, a decrease of 22% of which 422 m2 will be gym and studios;
- Separate dry side change removed;
- Vista from building to pool to be retained;
- Lido feature of the viewing step was originally to be retained but further safety concerns were made for it to be filled in
- Add in first aid room;